Question:

From Texas, USA:

My 5 year old granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes; she takes insulin shots. I would like to know why her blood sugar fluctuates so much when we make sure she eats correctly at meals and snacks. Example: Breakfast her blood sugar is 25, lunch it's 315 and at dinner it's 300. Then the next day it may be in the 70's. Her mother gives her the amount of insulin her doctor prescribes.

Answer:

Dosing insulin in a 5 year old is a difficult task. Frequently, the dosing of insulin is variable based on what the child eats. When there is difficulty with wide fluctuations in blood sugar reading, I would always suggest reviewing this with the child's diabetes team so they can assist with the details of insulin dosing.