From Hopkins, Minnesota, USA:

My niece is 7 1/2 years old. She has had diabetes since 4 1/2 years. She very often runs low sugar and goes into pre-coma stages. She is in 2nd grade and is only at beginning 1st grade level. The school insisted she be tested for ADHD. The doctor agreed with the school and also her mother. Her mother does not want medication and feels that her diabetes is causing her to act ADHD. The school says they can't teach her when she can't focus. Her blood levels can go in the 200's and back down to 80's or less in 1 day. Is there something safe she can take to help her concentrate and not throw off her diabetes? I would be happy to hear from other parents and health staff and/or educators.

Most medications for Attention Deficit Disorder do not have significant effects on blood sugar control. Your niece's pediatrician can help to choose the best medication or treatments for her attention deficit problem.

Posted to Other Medications and ADHD