Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

My 7 year old son has had diabetes for 5 years now. My problem is our diabetic team. I am searching for a new one. The area we live in only has two and they are both so full the patients become a number. I feel that this makes it difficult for us to get the kind of care he needs. Can you give me a research tool to find a good diabetic team for my son? I have considered trying St. Louis, which is a 4 hour drive, but I would like to find someone closer. I know there should be a listing of all endocrine doctors out there, I just can't find it.

A nursing student, and mother of a diabetic.

Answer:

See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor.

Additional comments from Virginia Valentine, diabetes nurse specialist:

You may want to research by finding a diabetes educator to tell you who's who in the diabetes community in your area. You can research a diabetes educator in an area by going to AADEnet.org, the web site for the American Association of Diabetes Educators.

VV