From Dallas, Texas, USA:

About 2 years before diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes (which I've been diagnosed with for 3 years now) I started developing round lesions on my lower legs. I thought it was necrobiosis lipoidica, but recently I visited a dermatologist who told me it was nummular eczema and gave me topical steroid cream. Also he told me to eliminate some things from my diet and then add them back. Since I have stopped eating fish about 2.5 months ago, I have not developed one of these lesions. Every other food, vitamin, I have added back, except fish.

I think I have developed an allergy to fish. Is this somehow related to diabetes, since allergies are immune system reactions, and diabetes can be autoimmune in nature? I'm just curious and can find nothing on the Internet to answer my question. I am planning a visit to my HMO dermatologist to have some patch tests (the other was a private doctor which I paid for), as fish is tasty and healthy and I miss it.

Usually, if a food allergy is suspected and elimination of that food fixes the problem (in your case the nummular eczema), than avoidance is the key to prevent further problems. Your dermatologist suggested to eliminate and then add back foods suspected of causing the lesions. If eating fish now cause you to have the lesions again, it is probably best to avoid fish.