Question:

From Walhalla, South Carolina, USA:

At the age of 1, I had my daughter's pediatrician test her for diabetes (she is now 16 months). The reason for the request is that I am a diabetic and my pregnancy was a very long and difficult one with high blood sugars. The test came back within range but we are concerned. She urinates a lot, and drinks a lot of juice. She also keeps colds and is now being treated for impetigo. Are there other tests that I can ask her doctor to perform to be sure that she is okay? Or are we just being overly concerned?

Answer:

I appreciate your concern about diabetes. Every parent that has diabetes worries that their child may have diabetes. It seems unlikely, however, that your child has diabetes based on the information you have provided. Watch for the typical symptoms of diabetes including frequent urination, drinking more than usual, eating more than usual, and weight loss. If you have further concerns, your physician can do urine or blood testing to help reassure you about diabetes.