From California, USA:

I am the manager of the JDF chapter in Bakersfield, California. We had a local child who almost died a few weeks ago at school. The school personnel assumed she was asleep when she really was unconscious due to a diabetic seizure. Now, the school district wants all parents of diabetic children to sign a contract. Do you know of other school districts where this has occurred? Is it legal? Is there a "standard" contract that we could share?

A child with diabetes should receive the same medical care as any other student and I would never be in favor of a contract limiting liability for anything! In fact I would think it would be illegal (see the Americans with Disabilities Act).

From a pro-active standpoint it sounds like this school needs some education on diabetes and some help in establishing a plan of care, especially for emergencies. The school should work with the student's diabetes team or physician if he/she has no team to put a workable plan in place.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Hypoglycemia