From Lake Mary, Florida, USA:

My 3 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one week after his second birthday. Over the last year and a half we have improved his HbA1c from 9.8 to 8.3 (we're still working on it!). My son's growth has remained consistent since his diagnosis (he weighs 50 lbs. and is very tall). He has "slimmed out" considerably since he turned 3. He appears very healthy, eats good and is active and energetic. However, I'm concerned about his cholesterol level and it's significance and implications for a diabetic child.

His cholesterol level has stayed around 200 despite our efforts to improve it. He drinks at least 4-5 cups of 1% milk a day. We try to restrict or eliminate all other cholesterol sources. My family's medical history is rampant with high blood pressure, high cholesterol and heart disease. Does his diabetes make his cholesterol level worse or vice versa?

I have been as concerned about my son's cholesterol levels and trying to improve them as I have about his blood sugar levels. Is this appropriate considering my family history and his diabetes? Will a high cholesterol level put him at even greater risk for complications? What else can I do to improve it?

As important as the total cholesterol number is the HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol number. You should visit with your physician about these levels to help you make any additional changes. High cholesterol levels in children with diabetes are an extra risk factor for development of cardiovascular complications as life goes on. I would suggest he be tested again and a visit with the diabetes team, including a dietitian, be scheduled to discuss your concerns.