Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My 11 year old son has frequent low blood sugar spells. His symptoms are cold sweat, headache, irritability, dizziness, tired, shaky and inability to focus. His doctor does not feel that is related to hypoglycemia. He has a had a fasting blood sugar blood test which came back in the normal range. He's a had a severe instance when I took him to emergency when he was out of it. (He was 3 when that happened). He had two large glasses of juice before his blood was tested: result was a blood sugar level of 302. A few other times I gave him orange juice followed by protein and within 10 - 15 minutes seemed fine. What would you suggest as a diet or further testing? Any other things that I should be on the lookout for? We do have a grandmother who had diabetes, my mother was hypoglycemic, and I am as well. On my husband's side, there are a few relatives with type 2 diabetes.

Answer:

Sure sounds like it might be hypoglycemia to me. I think a pediatric endocrinologist should see him.