Question:

From Mississauga, Ontario, Canada:

1. Ever since I have been taking metformin, I have been in much more of a happier mood. Is it because of the medication?
  2. How come I'm not as hungry anymore? Does it help with weight loss?
  3. How many dosages should a type 2 diabetes, 15 year old female take? My doctor told me 3 per day, but I keep reading no more than 2 a day.

Answer:

I think that you are feeling better on metformin [a pill for Type 2 diabetes] because you are in better control and that your appetite is diminished because you able to manage on a smaller dose of insulin if indeed you are on insulin. Whether you take metformin twice or three times a day depends whether you are getting satisfactory control on the lower dose.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

Also, metformin may cause some gastrointestinal upset, which decreases hunger and helps with weight loss (but doesn't directly result in increased happiness!).

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes and Type 2