Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am 18 years old and have had type 1 diabetes for a year. When I was diagnosed, my blood glucose was over 1100 mg/dl. My A1c has dropped from 14.1 to 8.3 and is improving every checkup. I never had a insulin-free "honeymoon" after being diagnosed.

Recently, my blood sugars have been more responsive to my regular doses of insulin, and I've had to lower my insulin dosages to prevent reactions. I'm on a two shots per day regimen of mixed Regular and Lente insulin,and I've had to lower each insulin 2-3 units in both the evening and the morning. My insulin dosages are still decreasing, especially the evening's which will soon be down to nothing if this continues. Is it possible that I could be having a sort of "honeymoon" after all this time of being diagnosed?

Answer:

Although a late "honeymoon" is not likely, the amount of insulin you will require will continue to change for the rest of your life. That is the main reason your physician has you check your blood sugars frequently. It is important to adjust your insulin just as you are doing in response to changes in your blood sugar. Also, there is never a time after diagnosis when you are safely "insulin-free" after the diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes has been made although the amount of insulin you may require is typically quite low during this time.

Actually, it sounds as if you've been very successful with your blood sugar control if your A1C has dropped from 14 to 8. Keep up the hard work!

Posted to Honeymoon