Question:

From Roseville, California, USA:

My twelve year old son went on a pump four months ago. It has been a godsend. When my husband and my son were at Taco Bell last week, our son asked to see a nutritional guide so that he could figure out his carbs. The boy (age 16) behind the counter asked if he was diabetic and he told him yes. The boy is also diabetic and told my husband and my son that he is taking one shot a month as part of a trial program. He was a very nice guy and told my son that if he ever wanted to talk to contact him. I am just curious about this once a month shot and if you have any information about it.

Answer:

I would wonder if he has Typeá1B diabetes or what ever we are calling the nonautoimmune diabetes and your son has the Typeá1A diabetes.

LSF

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

I think that the boy in Taco Bell has probably been picked up in a family study as either prediabetic, i.e. has antibodies, but is not yet insulin dependent, or as someone who is at high risk genetically. The study could well be of some immunomodulatory effect like GAD65 vaccination. There is no once a month injection for someone who is already insulin dependant; but talk to him, it would be interesting.