Question:

From Charleston, South Carolina, USA:

Is there any type of blood sugar comparison list I could look at that compares the blood sugars and HbA1Cs of several real diabetics, some on the pump, some not? I would like to see one to see how helpful the pump is to health.

Answer:

The overall experience is that control as represented by A1c levels is much the same whether someone is successful with some form of intensive insulin therapy or on a pump; but hypoglycemia seems to be less frequent on a pump and of course the regimen is a lot more flexible. Try to get to a medical library and look at Saudek et al, JAMA 276:1322, 1996 or Eichner et al, Diabetes Research 8:189,1988 or of course in PubMed.

Posted to Insulin Pumps and A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c