Question:

From Dayton, Ohio, USA:

Can you tell me about any known issues with giving IVIG to a child with Type 1 diabetes? I am wondering if Type 1 diabetics need any special treatment when receiving IVIG or are more prone to any adverse reactions with IVIG. Are there any special tests that Type 1 diabetics should undertake before receiving IVIG, to ensure that there are no other underlying conditions?

Answer:

About five years ago there were several reports from Europe about the use of IVIG (IntraVenous Immune Globulin) in the early treatment of autoimmune diabetes. No particular ill effects were reported; but at the same time there were no benefits either. From these studies however it would be reasonable to assume that there would be no ill effects of giving gamma globulin for some other purpose.