Question:

From Mexico:

I have hypoglycemia since two years ago; in the last two months the symptoms are very much more frequent. My doctor made the diagnosis of reactive hypoglycemia. I have a free sugar diet. I don't understand well this problem. Is this problem frequent? Do I have other options for treatment?

Answer:

It would be a mistake for someone who has never seen you or talked to your doctor to make any specific recommendations in relation to your hypoglycemia. My impression is that your doctor has been very conscientious in carrying out the tests that have eliminated most of the more important causes of this problem. I am not quite sure what he/she meant by reactive hypoglycemia; but perhaps it was the kind that is due to delay in the release of insulin in response to a carbohydrate load. This can be diagnosed with a long term glucose tolerance test: and there are of course many other causes of hypoglycemia which can be defined by more elaborate testing. The decision on whether to do this is one that has to be shared between yourself and your doctor.