Question:

From New Delhi, India:

When would inhaled insulin be available in the USA? If is commercially available, please do let me know the clinical details. My child who is 6 years is having IDDM. Where can he get a pancreatic transplant operation and what would it cost? I need a carry bag for insulin injections; can someone bring it to India and how much would it cost?

Answer:

1. Inhaled insulin is undergoing clinical trials but is some way from commercial availability because of problems with getting doses accurate. This problem is likely to be greater in young children so it will be even longer before they can use this route of insulin delivery.
  2. A pancreas transplant is still a dangerous operation with a significant mortality and morbidity. No surgeon would perform this operation on a 6 year old.
  3. I recommend that you contact your insulin suppliers about suitable carry-cases.