Question:

From Roanoke, Virginia, USA:

My son is 19 and uses the insulin pump. I have heard that magnets are helpful in many medical situations. Recently I was told of a lady who "cured" herself of diabetes (Type 1) with magnets. I do not believe it, but am curious as to your opinion on the use of magnets. Would it harm him in any way to wear magnets?

Answer:

I am not aware of any reports of magnets curing diabetes. There has been some investigation of using magnets to treat diabetic neuropathy with some preliminary positive results. From what I understand, the details of what strength magnets works the best is not yet clear.

I am not aware of any dangers of wearing the magnets. Magnets to treat pain are now readily available in many stores and are not regulated by the FDA or any other authority so it is hard to know which ones may be beneficial and in which situations.

Additional comments from Dr. Donough O'Brien:

There is no scientific evidence whatsoever that magnets are of any benefit in autoimmune diabetes. Pumps however are vulnerable to static electricity and so it seems possible that a magnetic field could affect them.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations