Question:

From the United Kingdom:

Is it possible to prevent gestational diabetes in a second pregnancy, with weight loss before pregnancy, good diet and exercise? I was on insulin at 30 weeks in my previous pregnancy and was induced at 38 weeks. My son and I are both fine now, although he was 9lb 2oz, had low blood sugar and was jaundiced at birth.

Answer:

You be able to reduce your risk. However, a lot depends on how much of certain hormones the placenta produces which lead to insulin resistance. If you are overweight, then weight reduction and proper diet will be helpful, but no guarantee.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes