Question:

From California, USA:

I am in my 38th week of pregnancy and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 29 weeks. I have been keeping my numbers between 110 and 130 1 hour after meals with diet and exercise. My fasting sugar is between 70 and 85. For the last week my 1 hour after meal numbers have been quite a bit lower, ranging from 98 to 112. My fastings are about the same. Does this have something to do with placental hormones towards the end of pregnancy? I have not change my routine at all, so I am trying to figure out why my numbers have decreased like they have. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

I have seen this happen before. I am not sure, but I think that insulin resistance might decrease towards the end of pregnancy due to less production of the hormones that cause the insulin resistance in the first place. I am really speculating about this however.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes