Question:

From Yahoo:

My father has diabetes and he gets so angry and he blames it on the diabetes. Can this be true? Does diabetes change a person or make them unhappy with their lives?

Answer:

It is hard to have a chronic condition -- but it is not an excuse for lots of bad behavior. I bet there are a lot of things going on with your dad; not just diabetes. When he gets out of sorts, just ask him to speak to you like someone who loves you -- it might remind him to reconsider his words.

Personally, I consider happiness to be a choice. Everyone has something to struggle with, everyone. To choose happiness over bitterness is tough, but it is a choice.

CMB

Additional comments from Dr. Tessa Lebinger:

Uncontrollable anger can also be a sign of either low blood sugar (which should respond to treatment with juice or some other source of quick acting sugar) or of depression -- which might require treatment with medication by a psychiatrist.

Posted to Behavior