From Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA:

I am a 39 year old male diagnosed 9 months ago with IDDM. I recently received my renewal form for my driver's licence. On the back there is a space to check if you are diabetic. Is this mandatory or discretionary? I can understand the benefits of people knowing of my diabetes if there was an accident, but also wonder what "big brother" might do with the information once in the state system.

I recall this issue coming up for one of my patients who attended college in Tennessee years ago. We were appalled! The JDF and ADA went to bat to fight this and viewed it as discriminatory. She was being asked to take a "Road Test" rather than a written test simply because she had diabetes. The issue was resolved and she did not have to take a "road test" to renew her license.

Trust your instincts.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

If your state law requires you to indicate on your driver's license that you have diabetes, you should follow the law. If you don't agree with the law, contact your state's elected officials and complain.

Additional comment added 22 Apr 2000
Posted to Other Social Issues