Question:

From Columbus, Ohio, USA:

How high should a non-diabetics blood sugar rise 1-2 hours after eating a meal? I'm concerned that I am developing Type 2 since my blood sugar has been about 170-190 after eating dinner (I test myself sometimes since my daughter is has Type 1).

Answer:

In general, it is reported that most people without diabetes will maintain a blood sugar of less than 140 after eating. I said, in general. My experience has shown that people, testing on a hand held meter, vary from this point at times. If you are at all concerned about your risk of type 2 diabetes, I would suggest you discuss with your doctor having a lab-drawn blood sugar after drinking 75-100 grams of Glucola (a special carbohydrate drink). This would be a sure way to see if your pancreas is able to meet the demand of this large dose of sugar.

KS