From Hendersonville, North Carolina, USA:

I was told recently of an eye disease that has almost taken one of my daughters' friends sight. I can not remember the name but it is common in younger diabetics. It is not retinopathy. The eye looks like pink eye, but then the eyelid on the bottom starts swelling, and turns out. I am interested in finding out what this is and what to do about it. My daughter is 11 and has been diabetic for over 1 year, her friend is 12 and been diabetic for 8 years. Please help with any information you can.

I am not sure what this condition is that you describe. When friends and family talk you can get some unusual conditions that everyone seems to have. I assume your daughter has type 1 diabetes, from her age, and retinopathy is not usually encountered with a one year history. I suggest you might have her eyes examined by her friend's doctor and you can discuss your concerns with him.

Good control lessens the risk and severity of complications.