From California, USA:

My 7 year old stepdaughter has been wetting her bed for about 2 years. She is very thirsty (mostly drinks water), has a sweet smelling urine, weighs about 100 lbs and is about 48" tall and wears size 14 clothes. She did not wet her bed for about 2 years (from 3-5). She sometimes has trouble holding her urine and has had accidents at school, in the car, etc. She says that she just waits too long, but I am afraid it might be something more serious. Her mother refuses to take her to the doctor for the "bed wetting" as she thinks that the child will outgrow it. The child's grandfather has diabetes that he is struggling to control with his diet. Any suggestions?

The typical signs of diabetes in children include frequent urination, increased thirst, increased hunger, and weight loss. The test for diabetes is a simple urine test or blood test. Wetting the bed can be caused by other problems such as urinary tract infection in addition to diabetes. It also can be "normal" for many children.