Question:

From Georgia, USA:

My son was diagnosed at age 2 with Type 1 diabetes. When he has low blood sugars he starts to have a diabetic seizure. It happens at midnight or around 2 A.M. around the time when his NPH peaks. What can I do to help stop this? His hands and feet draw into the fetal position and he awakens us with a blood curdling scream and continues to scream about every 5 seconds. I give him Karo syrup when this happens and when his blood sugar comes up it stops and he asks, What is going on? He's not really conscience during this time. Please offer any suggestions. This is really scary when it happens.

Answer:

If this is really happening at 2 A.M., at the peak time of effect of the insulin, you need to move the peak: maybe give it at bedtime (even yours) to move the peak to early morning.

Discuss with your son's endocrinologist.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

You may also wish to try one of the specialty foods that have slow release carbohydrates.

JSH