From Connecticut, USA:

I am a type 1 diabetic, insulin dependent for 36 years. I am now 39. About 7 years ago, I was diagnosed with Graves' disease and was treated with radioactive iodine. Is there a higher than usual predisposition to Graves' in people with long term diabetes?

I also developed the eye disease from Graves' quite severely. I had to undergo chemotherapy to suppress my immune system because my antibodies were so high. Is this common for diabetics who have had radioactive iodine as a form of treatment of the Graves'?

The only information i can provide to your question is that the literature says that about 8% of thyroid eye disease patients have other endocrine and immunologic abnormalities. Diabetes is certainly an endocrine disorder.

This question may be best answered by your endocrinologist who certainly is an expert in endocrine disorders, both thyroid disease and diabetes is in their domain.