From Massachusetts, USA:

My son was taking Regular and Ultralente. However, he was not doing his shot till 1/2 hour to 1 hour of eating. Would this cause his A1c to be high and his regular reading to be fine? I am frustrated because he seems to be in control but his A1c comes back high.

You have brought up a common challenge that we see. It is now felt that the after meal blood sugar levels have a large impact on the hemoglobin A1c result. In using Regular insulin for your son's meals, he might be having higher than desired readings after eating. You might consider checking some blood sugars after meals for a few days and discussing this pattern with your diabetes team. If the after meal readings are consistently high, the addition of Humalog, a rapid acting meal insulin, might help. Another advantage of using Humalog for food is not needing to take it ahead of the meal, in fact you can take it right after eating if your son is unsure of how much he wants to eat.