Question:

From Virginia, USA:

When I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over a year ago, I had had progressive symptoms for about 6 months. At first I was slightly thirsty, then two months later, I started getting very thirsty and hungry. I lost 20 pounds, and my weight fell to 96 lbs. Then I missed my period, and didn't have another one till after diagnosis. Later, my vision started to fluctuate and I started to get skin infections which didn't heal. My fingers got stiff (like arthritis) and my legs started to tingle. My hair started to thin. A month before the diagnosis, I got a feeling of having a heavy heartbeat, which continued till diagnosis. I had all of the other symptoms of type 1 diabetes also. All of these conditions went away when I was treated for diabetes. I've never heard of any one else having such bizarre symptoms of type 1 diabetes -- are they related or just a personal case?

Answer:

Most of your symptoms are quite typical of a new case of Type 1 diabetes -- although the hair loss is a bit unusual. Regardless, I'm glad you're doing better now on insulin therapy!

Additional comments from Lynn Wilson, diabetes nurse specialist:

I would suggest a thyroid check as well, in light of the hair thinning.

LW