From California, USA:

My daughter is 4 years old, and was diagnosed with type 1 when she was 2 years old. My daughter does very very well with her injections, usually never a peep. Lately she has been brought to tears and saying her arm hurts only when the insulin is being injected in her arm. (I do rotate sites.) She has woke up during the night complaining of her arm and fingers hurting. Any suggestion on what could be causing this pain?

Insulin shots can occasionally hurt even when given correctly. If the injections are hurting every time, they are probably being given into the superficial muscle that lies under the small fat layer right under the skin. Your goal should be to give the injection into the small fat layer rather than into the muscle. You might try using a short needle (your pharmacist can help you to find short needle syringes) instead of the standard syringes.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

It'd be a good idea to demonstrate your technique to your diabetes nurse.