From Muzaffar Nagar, UP, India:

My 4 year old niece was diagnosed as Insulin dependent diabetic 8 months after she was recovering from a severe viral attack in India. The patient has no history of diabetic patients in the last 2 generations on either side and was fed on cow's milk for nearly 6 months when she was diagnosed. Her mother is monitoring her glucose level very carefully and giving her regular insulin shots.

We have been told that when kids reaches puberty, the general hormonal change in their bodies triggers the functioning of pancreatic cells and body may start producing Insulin hormone normally. Is this a myth or there are some scientific evidence and reasons to believe it? If yes, what is the success rate?

I am afraid that it is a myth that the hormonal changes at puberty can bring about a restoration of function to insulin producing cells.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations