From Portland, Oregon, USA:

My 3 year old was diagnosed one month ago. I have read the research and articles by Dr. Classen. I am the mother of 4, my 3 year old being the youngest. My daughter was given seven different vaccine injections, two of which were three vaccine live virus each, several months ago. She was 2.5 at the time. I cannot help but think there is a link to all of the injections being injected into that little body at one time. Have you heard of this? And is that many injections considered "safe"? At the time, she had missed some shots and the clinic was playing "catch up" with her. Is that safe, and are procedures tested everywhere for practicing combination vaccines like this?

The subject you raise is an important one and one for which there have as yet been no absolutely convincing answers. It may well be that Dr Classen is right and that the volume and variety of immunogenic antigens given to small children nowadays has increased the risk of producing an occasional damaging immune response at the same time as valuable protective ones. The American Academy of Pediatrics and the Communicable Disease Center still hold that it is safe and a direct health benefit to submit to the immunisation program. Also in the national DAISY (Diabetes and other Autoimmune Syndromes in Youth) there is so far no apparent link between immunisations and the initiation of Type 1A diabetes. In the meantime though I think it is prudent to stick very closely to the immunisation schedule of the Academy of Pediatrics and not to permit catch up with a substantial increase in viral protein load.

I am sorry that this question has so far no iron clad answer.

[Editor's comment: Dr. Classen's reports related to immunizations can be found on his web site. The web site is run by Classen Immunotherapies, Inc., owned by John Barthelow Classen, M.D., and author of the reports. Also, see our page about immunizations and Questions and Answers about Diabetes and Vaccines from the Centers for Disease Control web site. JSH]