From Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic:

My daughter is 12 years old and has insulin dependent diabetes. She is currently on 3 injections a day of NPH and Regular insulins. If she has an occasional treat like at birthdays, holidays, etc., should I give her extra insulin to cover this? If so, how much, assuming her blood sugar is within normal range at the moment?

For most people using insulin, learning to adjust for real-life issues is a better match than a set dose of insulin. Before you make any changes, I would recommend you discuss this with your daughter's diabetes team but, first, you might like to check your child's blood sugar before and 1-2 hours after meals to see if additional insulin is needed. This will help your team guide you through insulin adjustments. You might also discuss the possible use of Humalog, a rapid acting insulin which peaks earlier than Regular to cover foods.