From Maryland, USA:

I have a 13 year old granddaughter diagnosed with diabetes several days ago. No insulin nor pills to be dealt with. She is on a calorie counted diet of 2200 per day. Cut down of foods to cups or ounces and calories counted. I have no knowledge of any of this because I've never done this before and I'm petrified. I need help with a menu plan and how to count calories. Also it is hard for me because she is in school at lunch time.

In order to really get help for your dilemma I would recommend you seek the help of a dietitian who works with children with diabetes. If your daughter is being regulated by diet alone, it is imperative that she have some guidelines and suggestions for a 13 year old. Another important features of taking care of diabetes is exercise. There are many ways to count calories, I hope her doctor can help you locate a dietitian to help.