Question:

From Farmingdale, Maine, USA:

I have a 3 year and 9 month old daughter that has diabetes and goes to daycare. The daycare provider will not let my daughter have the same thing that the rest of the kids eat. She keeps telling my daughter that she has diabetes and that you can not eat that. I have told the daycare provider that she can eat the same thing that the rest of the kids eat if her sugar level reading is in the range that she has to be in. How do I get it into the daycare provider's head not to treat my daughter any different?

Answer:

You are in charge of what your child can have to eat regardless of whether that child has diabetes. If your child is not being treated appropriately by the daycare staff, then you must take that up with the management of the daycare. If you still have no success, it's time to find another daycare that will treat your child in the manner you see best. The dietitian on your diabetes team may able to help you also.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Social Issues: School and Daycare