Question:

From Toronto, Ontario, Canada:

Have you any information and support on diabetics who struggle with anorexia and bulimia? I currently struggle with this problem. Due to the fear of diabetic complications, I have made radical improvements on my diabetic control management. I still need lots of support around my eating disorder. Please if there are any people out there willing to share any advice outside of the diabetic team, e-mail me at my address.

snowbounded@hotmail.com

Answer:

There has been increasing recognition of eating disorders among women with diabetes in the past few years. Because it is easy to lose weight by missing insulin shots, many women find it an easy way to maintain their desired weight. It can lead to binge eating without taking extra insulin to cover as well. Unfortunately this method of weight control has devastating consequences for long-term health. It is vital that you find treatment for your eating disorder.

JWB

Posted to Behavior