From Newton, North Carolina, USA:

I received a letter from my child's doctor regarding his latest test results. Included, there was a new prescription for a thyroid medication. It seems that he tested positive for antibodies, and the letter stated that just as his pancreas had been attacked, other organs were being attacked. Could this mean liver, as well as other vital organs? I know that the kidneys and eyes are being damaged even though we work on this illness day and night. Are these antibodies going to do uncontrollable damage? (My son is 16 and has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 years. He takes about 90 units of 70/30 every day. The pump did not work for him, but we may try again.)

Diabetes is an autoimmune disease. What I think your doctor is meaning is that the thyroid gland is being affected in the same way as the pancreas and is causing the thyroid gland to become underactive. In autoimmune disease, it is often glands that are affected. An underactive thyroid is much easier and more straightforward to treat. All that is needed is thyroid tablets taken once daily with monitoring of blood tests by your doctor very occasionally.

You should discuss this with your diabetes team.

Posted to Thyroid