Question:

From Dalzell, South Carolina, USA:

My granddaughter has Type 1 diabetes and she is 18 months old. She takes 5 shots of insulin per day and has her sugar level tested at least 6 times a day. When should the doctors be notified if her sugar level goes up? Say it is 248 and she is due for a shot we give it to her and the level goes down within the hour, should we call the doctor or should we just keep a close check to make sure that it does not go back up again? This is all still very new to us and we would like to get all the information we can that will help us in keeping our little angel healthy.

Answer:

You've asked a good question about when to contact the doctor. Since all have their own ways of assisting their patients with diabetes, I would suggest you discuss this with him or her. Having a plan before something happens is a proactive approach to diabetes care.

KS