From San Angelo, Texas, USA:

My 7 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. He has been having blood glucose readings running in the 300's for about 2 months and the more insulin I give him the higher it seems to go. Can too much insulin cause the high blood glucose readings? He weighs 78 lbs and is taking 29 units of NPH per day and 9 units of Humalog per day.

You are appropriately concerned about your son's blood sugar readings. Too much insulin is not likely responsible for your son's high blood sugars. It is more likely that your son is not receiving enough insulin. I would suggest you review your blood sugars and insulin dosing with your diabetes team and seek their advice about changing your son's insulin dosing.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA and Insulin