Question:

From Peoria, Illinois, USA:

My 15 month old son has had off and on shakiness before meals. At first, I passed this off, but now am beginning to think we have something bigger here. Could this be hypoglycemia? I read in other responses that this is not usually diagnosed in children. Could he be experiencing something else? We have an appointment with the doctor, but I was trying to do some research myself, so that I am well versed when we go.

Answer:

True hypoglycemia is quite rare in children without diabetes. Most children that have occasional "shakiness" prior to meals are not suffering from any illness. Your physician should be able to help direct you regarding appropriate treatment of this shakiness.