Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from May 2000

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have heard that people with diabetes should not take beta carotene supplements because their bodies cannot convert it into vitamin A. I have also heard this about hypothyroidism. Is this true? (31 May 2000)

2. My 10 year old daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since she was 8. She is in full blown puberty and her levels have been high. Last evening, she didn't want me to watch her do her dinner shot. We found out that she has been giving herself almost twice the amount we tell her to do. What do we do? (31 May 2000)

3. My daughter is 22 years old. She was told she might be insulin resistant. What exactly does that mean? (31 May 2000)

4. My 6 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes 4 1/2 years now. He is having seizures during the night. He gets paralysis down the right side of his body. Can these seizures affect his brain function as he is having problems at school? (31 May 2000)

5. My son was diagnosed at age eight with Type 1 six weeks after having chicken pox. He is now seventeen. The sides of his face, especially along his cheeks, remain red and irritated constantly, as if he has constant sunburn. Is this a normal condition because he takes insulin? (30 May 2000)

6. My 13 year old just had a lab test done that reported an insulin level more than double of what is normal. What name is given to this? What are the treatments and where can I find information about this? (30 May 2000)

7. My 16 year old has had Type 1 diabetes since age 4. There have been times when his blood sugar has dropped to 30's and 40's. He has become very violent and angry. He never remembers what he has done or has said. Does this happen to people with diabetes experiencing a severe low blood sugar reaction? (30 May 2000)

8. My daughter was diagnosed last week. We have seen a dietitian and are currently seeing a pediatrician who seems to lack knowledge in this field. We are overseas with military and limited on resources. Do most have a specialist? If so what type? (30 May 2000)

9. My 26 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 1. When very young, he had bronchial asthma which was treated with hydrocortisone injections. I heard on my local news that steroids had been linked to diabetes. Do you have any information on this? (30 May 2000)

10. Can a person who has Type 1 diabetes get a tattoo? (30 May 2000)

11. A friend has a 9 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes, diagnosed 3 years ago. A typical dinner (at least 3 times a week) consists of hot dogs or fast food such as McDonald's. Are these types of foods okay for her to be eating so regularly? (30 May 2000)

12. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed last week. We are "Carb Counting" but are concerned with total calorie intake. She has gained 4 pounds in less than a week (she lost 11 total but was a little overweight). Should we also monitor total fat and calories? (30 May 2000)

13. My 10 year old son was diagnosed 2 years ago and I am still trying to get the 504 disability act in place at his school. Can you give me any guidelines to follow when I do finally meet with them? Also is there any guidelines to give to his gym teacher or coaches for sport activities? (29 May 2000)

14. Our son was recently diagnosed (1 week ago). He is 2. We have been told about many different ways of administering his Insulin. The syringes are pretty scary to him (and his parents). We've read about the "Beeper" type that is worn on a belt with a small needle inserted under the skin. Is he too young to have something like this? (29 May 2000)

15. My son, 17 years old, has had Type 1 diabetes since age 11. He has always kept his A1C count between 6.5 and 7.8. Now however he is having readings in the 11 and 12's. Our doctor suggested that he may not be taking all of his insulin. Is this common for diabetics to get this way? (29 May 2000)

16. I am 25 year old and have been married for 3 years and trying for a child for 1 year. I was kept on Clomid for 3 months and then I was told to take Glucophage by a doctor, for infertility. How does Glucophage help you to get pregnant? (29 May 2000)

17. My fiance is 18 years old. She has had diabetes since the age of 8. What precautions should we both take at the time of her pregnancy and what type of precautions should she take in her diet during pregnancy? (29 May 2000)

18. My son is 8 1/2. He was diagnosed when he was 4. We have an opportunity to take him to Europe for 7-10 days this summer. However, my wife is concerned that it is too short a time to go through the difficulty of the time change, etc. I fear that holding him back from this opportunity sends the wrong message and is unnecessary. Any advice? (29 May 2000)

19. Can a massage therapist help with soreness and thickening of the skin at injection sites? (29 May 2000)

20. My son is 6 years 9 months old and was diagnosed about 2 years ago. My endocrinologist has just advised that my son is being overinsulinized (receiving 1.9 units/kilo, 49 units/day). He weighs 25 kilos and wants to reduce to 1 unit/kilo. Is this common? (29 May 2000)

21. My two-year old grandson has just been diagnosed. His doctor has set up an insulin regimen, and my daughter keeps a reasonable diet. Nevertheless his glucose levels are often above 300 mg/dl pre-insulin injection. How long does it take for insulin levels/responses to settle down in an acceptable range? (29 May 2000)

22. My daughter was diagnosed at 3. Her father and I have been trying to keep her in tight control to prevent future complications, but we have just been told that frequent bouts of low blood sugars could cause brain damage. What is considered frequent low blood sugars? (29 May 2000)

23. I am a Type 1 diabetic. I was diagnosed before the birth of my last child, about two and a half years ago. My grandmother and all of her sisters had Type 1 diabetes. My baby, now 2, has had some slightly elevated blood sugar readings. Should I be concerned? (29 May 2000)

24. Do people with diabetes experience personality changes? Do they get pains or aches from diabetes? (29 May 2000)

25. A friend of mine has a 12 year old daughter with insulin dependent juvenile diabetes (Type 1) since age 7. On one morning several days ago, she was unable to wake her daughter; after several minutes she was finally able to get her up. At that time took her sugar level which was at 38. (29 May 2000)

26. I just got a referral form from my son's school nurse saying that I should have my son looked at because she found a light brown-black area around the neck. Now, I washed it real good and a lot of it went away, but there is still some left she says there's a potential risk for Type 2 diabetes. (29 May 2000)

27. My 19 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 months ago. She attends college 500 miles away from home and the internist that is treating her at college ordered an islet cell antibody test. The results were negative but I am unable to find out why they ran this test and what a negative result means. (29 May 2000)

28. I was recently diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes (8 months ago). I am now 4 1/2 months pregnant. I have maintained good control of my sugars and am told all is going smoothly. The doctor recommends a level 2 ultrasound at 19 weeks to check all of the babies organs. Is this a good idea? (29 May 2000)

29. My daughter has had diabetes since she was 10 years old. Six weeks ago, she delivered a healthy baby girl. She has breast fed this whole time. However, we are running into big problems with low blood sugars. She tests all of the time, but, unfortunately, she crashes unexpectedly. Would it harm the baby to begin formula? (28 May 2000)

30. Are there any concerns, either medical (blood borne pathogens) or legal, which pertain to glucose testing in the classroom for a 10 year old? We desire to negotiate for "in classroom testing" for many reasons, rather than repeated trips to the nurses office. The child is on an insulin pump. (28 May 2000)

31. My mom has diabetes. She is having problems regulating her sugar. She is type 2 and is on an oral medication. Before walking, her sugar is 120; after walking, she feels weak and nervous. Why was it so good before walking (about 4 miles) and then went up so bad? (28 May 2000)

32. Do you have any recent data on the Diasensor, the sensor system that would potentially do away with finger sticks? Has it been FDA approved? Where is it in the process? (28 May 2000)

33. I'm 46 years old. I've had Type 1 diabetes since I was 10. Several years ago, I had my second stroke; I was prescribed a SSRI medication for depression. Since them I've discovered it seems to prevent the peripheral neuropathy I've been suffering from for 20 years. (28 May 2000)

34. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 a week ago. She has been home 4 days. Blood sugars have never been lower than 275 and are typically in the 300+ range. Ketones generally absent, but sometimes moderate. How long does it take to see some 70-180 blood sugar levels? (28 May 2000)

35. My daughter is 10 and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a year and a half ago. She takes three injections a day, combining Humalog and NPH. She is on the swim team and for swim meets the coaches recommend carb loading the night before. What is the logic behind that and is that something a diabetic can or should do? (28 May 2000)

36. Where can a low-income family receive help with the expense of diabetes supplies? There is a student at my daughter's school who is newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He never has enough strips and only has one meter, so therefore is using my daughter's supplies quite frequently. (28 May 2000)

37. My 4 year old son is in the honeymoon stage diagnosed 2 months ago. Would olive leaf extract prolong the honeymoon stage? Does it help at all ever? (28 May 2000)

38. My son, who recently turned 13, was diagnosed with precocious puberty and treatment involves taking human growth hormone. I am concerned since we have a family history of Type 1 diabetes. How great a risk is there that my son could get Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes brought on by Human Growth Hormone treatment? (28 May 2000)

39. During a routine blood test, my son's sugar level showed 267. Then he started taking insulin shots. Blood sugars were within the normal range after few days. The doctor still did not fully diagnose him as type 1 diabetes, and he does not seem to be sure of what he was saying. Can it be something else? (28 May 2000)

40. My 11 year old daughter started having passing out spells from the age of 2. At first, the doctors thought she was having seizures. We had tests run for that and they came back negative. Most of the spells have been at times when she has not eaten in over 2 hours. What tests do I need to have run on her? (28 May 2000)

41. My 5 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 just over a year ago. We have recently seen a naturopath who put him on a herb therapy. Within 4 days, we had to cut down his insulin 50% and have maintained good control. The naturopath says with using less insulin he will be using what is left of his pancreas instead of letting it die off. (26 May 2000)

42. I have heard that the World Health Organization is recommending that doctors in the US switch from doing a two-step diagnostic series for gestational diabetes to a one-step test. Would the one-step test be done at 24-28 weeks' gestation? What would the normal values be? (26 May 2000)

43. My friend has Type 1 diabetes (insulin dependent). She is now 19 years old and has had diabetes since the age of 9. Would you tell me what precautions she should take in her diet and during the time of her pregnancy in the future? (26 May 2000)

44. I am 28 years old and I am 5 weeks pregnant with my sixth pregnancy. Because of previous history with borderline gestational diabetes, I was given the glucose test at 4 weeks and it came back at a level of 146. Would these levels on the first test be thrown off as a result of diet? (26 May 2000)

45. My husband is 40 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 30 years. I am concerned for his safety and our children. In the last 5 years, he has had several car accidents and over 25 ambulance assisted emergencies. What is his ability when his sugar drops so low? (26 May 2000)

46. My daughter is 11 years old and has had diabetes for four years. We are beginning to have a lot of trouble controlling her blood sugar. What I need to know is, are there any types of insulin that can be used other than N and R, to help us get better control of her diabetes? (24 May 2000)

47. Vitamin E has been said to help with nerve damage in diabetics. I was wondering if any research has been done on the effect it would have on hypoglycemia unawareness. It would be great if it could help diabetics recognize their low blood sugars. (23 May 2000)

48. My daughter was diagnosed when she went into DKA right after her second birthday. When she was brought into the ER, it was noted that there was a large lump on the back of her head. Is there something related to the diabetes about dermatological problems like this? (23 May 2000)

49. My daughter, age 11, has had Type 1 diabetes for two years now. For the last few months, she has been dropping very low at night and waking up with high blood sugars (rebounding). Why is this happening and how can it be prevented? (23 May 2000)

50. I have a seven year old daughter who was diagnosed with diabetes two years ago. I have a question regarding pumps for my daughter. I don't know which pump to talk about as I don't know about any of them. (21 May 2000)

51. My husband is 48. Just took a physical and fasting blood glucose was 261. His 3 month level was 13. He was immediately put on Amaryl. Four years ago, his level was 142. Should he have been watched two years ago or longer? (21 May 2000)

52. My 2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 two months ago. He averages 6 units before breakfast, and 2 units before dinner of NPH. When he drinks cow's milk, I notice it increases his blood sugar. Is it correct? What should I give my son instead of cow's milk? (19 May 2000)

53. I am a 19 year old Juvenile Diabetic for the last 6 1/2 years. I take Actrapid and Insulatard. I take injections 3 times a day. My fasting sugars are always 180-200. I want to know how I can get my fasting under control. (19 May 2000)

54. Is it true that if you see ketones in the morning, but there is no spilled sugar, and no signs of illness, it could mean a hypo in the middle of the night? (19 May 2000)

55. I have a friend who has had Type 1 diabetes for 16 years. She is now 29 and has lost sight in one eye. She has hypertension and has protein in the urine. I have many concerns regarding her condition, one being that she is very puffy and has extreme swelling in her legs, ankles, and feet. (19 May 2000)

56. As we believe, along with the endocrinologist, that my son is still in the pre-diabetic stage, where can we go to have him try nicotinamide? I am aware that while it has not helped those diagnosed with clinical diabetes, it has been shown to help stave off diabetes in pre-diabetics. (19 May 2000)

57. Our ten year old son's baseball season will begin soon. Although he has managed games and practices before with fairly good results, this will be his first season as a "pumper." I am in a bit of a quandary as to where he might wear his pump to protect it from sliding, etc. (18 May 2000)

58. My son is 17 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 about 8 months ago. I have a well-meaning neighbor that is trying to convince me to have my son take a nutritional supplement to help in his treatment of diabetes. She has provided me with some literature that seems to suggest that these nutritional supplements will help him. (18 May 2000)

59. My niece was diagnosed at age 3. Recently her sister was diagnosed (also at age 3). If you look at the demographics you can see that Savannah has had a tremendous increase in the past year of diabetes. Who do I contact to get to the bottom of this? (18 May 2000)

60. Recent research (in Finland and New Zealand) and our experience in Iceland indicate that betakasein A1 in cows' milk might have effect on juvenile diabetes in children. Is there research of this possible connection going on in your country? (18 May 2000)

61. My daughter went to the hospital last week for the first time. They took her blood and it was 71. The second time they took her blood it was 315. She wants to eat all day long; wets the bed about 3 times a week. Do you think I should pursue this further and have her checked for diabetes? (18 May 2000)

62. I am a fit, active, long distance runner who is a type 1 diabetic. Recently I have been concerned about protein intake. I am concerned about protein and kidney damage. Is there a urine test I could take for proteins? (17 May 2000)

63. My nephew is 13 years old. He has type 1 diabetes. He also has been diagnosed with Turet's disease. He just had some urinalysis done and his creatinine was 48 and his albumin was 28.5. What could this mean? Kidney failure? (17 May 2000)

64. My mother (44 years old) became insulin dependant about three years ago. About two years ago her diagnosis has taken an incredibly different turn. She has gone from hyperglycemia to hypoglycemia literally overnight. Is there a way to tell if there is artificial insulin being introduced? (17 May 2000)

65. Last night my 5 year old daughter had to be injected for the first time with a Glucagon Emergency Kit. Her blood sugar was 42, but we were unable to get her to take any sugar and she was unresponsive. Even though she had a pulse and was still breathing, does this type of situation hurt her body in other ways? (17 May 2000)

66. I have a young friend, age 8. She lives with her grandmother in poverty. I have heard there is an implant that can administer insulin on a regular basis. Is this true? (17 May 2000)

67. My daughter is 7. Her levels are constantly high. My ex-wife continuously overmedicates her to compensate! For example it was 522, so she gave her 3 times the prescribed dose of insulin and it dropped to 83 in less than two hours! What are the immediate dangers that she could face? (17 May 2000)

68. I had gestational diabetes with my twin pregnancy. However, the condition was not treated and my sons were born with hypoglycemia. Their sugar level was 11. One of my babies was born unconscious. He is now 2 1/2 and having difficulty attending to any activity. What are the complications from such low blood sugar at birth? (17 May 2000)

69. My son is 13 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 years. Recently I have noticed that he is having difficulty in absorbing and memorising school work. I am very concerned, as he will be having exams soon. Is this linked to diabetes? (17 May 2000)

70. I take quite large (several grams) doses of vitamin C every day. At times, for example when I am ill, my blood glucose levels are not that well controlled. However my long term Hba1c test is always quite good, usually around 7. Could this be due to the vitamin C or is it something else? (17 May 2000)

71. I have a 5 year old diagnosed 1.5 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. From the time he was diagnosed until now, he seems very sensitive to Humalog and Regular insulin. I am very concerned about daily hypoglycemia. (17 May 2000)

72. I am 37, and in my 33rd week of my first pregnancy. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes three weeks ago. It looks like diet and exercise are not controlling the diabetes. What statistics are there for women who do not respond to diet/exercise control? (17 May 2000)

73. I am going to have my wisdom teeth (at least two) pulled in about a month and I am wondering: Does a diabetic run any special risks when this is done? (16 May 2000)

74. My son in 11; he was diagnosed about 9 months ago. When he was born, his immune system was suppressed. He received Gamma Globulin transfusions every 2-3 weeks until about 18 months of age. He has his IGG and IGA levels tested once a year. Could his diabetes be a direct result of the immune system disorder? (16 May 2000)

75. What are the most frequent neurological complications, if any, in a 15 year-old male with Type 1 diabetes, always poorly controlled (average daily blood sugars 255), since the age of 7? (16 May 2000)

76. Why would insulin alone or insulin with water kill a diabetic patient who is dehydrating? (16 May 2000)

77. I am 29, Type 1, duration 16 years. The endocrinologist I saw last month recommended the insulin pump without even looking at my blood sugar readings. This to me sounds like a very drastic last resort measure. I do not want the pump unless it is the only thing left to try. (16 May 2000)

78. I am a 28 year old type 1 diabetic. Does blood sugar rise or fall when you first become pregnant? (16 May 2000)

79. My mom was just diagnosed with diabetes. I don't know what type yet or anything about it. What are the basics that I need to know? People don't normally die from diabetes, do they? (15 May 2000)

80. My husband is having difficulty at work with discrimination because of his diabetes. I have searched the advocate anti-discrimination act and have only gotten little help. (15 May 2000)

81. About a week ago my father was told that he had diabetes. What should he do now? (15 May 2000)

82. My daughter is 16 and is learning to drive. I have seen a lot written about suggested guidelines regarding driving and low blood sugars, but what about high blood sugars? (15 May 2000)

83. I went to the doctor today for allergies. When we began to talk, the doctor said that he detected an odor when he first came into the room. He said that in children with diabetes they will sometimes have the same kind of odor about them. Could you please give me some insight into this? (15 May 2000)

84. How often would you recommend a 9 year old with Type 1 diabetes get a HbA1c test? (15 May 2000)

85. How does the Kussmaul's respiration alleviate the acidosis, and is the diabetic's body able to adequately replace the sodium bicarbonate lost? I am also wondering if the pancreatic digestive enzymes such as secretin are in good stores in diabetics. (15 May 2000)

86. Our 9-month old was diagnosed with neonatal diabetes at 2 months of age. She is insulin dependent. We were told by her endocrinologist that there is a 50% chance that she may outgrow this and that the average time period would be from 6 to 12 months from diagnosis. Is this true? (15 May 2000)

87. I've had bad stomach spasms since I was 7. Now I'm 14 and have been reading about diabetes recently and I have a lot of the symptoms. I wanted to ask if diabetes could go undetected that long? (15 May 2000)

88. I'm a 17 year old girl who has had diabetes for 4 years, although I have only been on insulin for 2 years. I find it extremely hard to cope and feel extremely worried. (15 May 2000)

89. What do you think of this new low calorie sweetener called Splenda? (15 May 2000)

90. My son is 13 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago. He attends a private school. This last fall he was to go on a trip that would last 5 days and 4 nights. I was told that I couldn't go with the class, but the school finally gave me permission. (14 May 2000)

91. I am a 26 year old male who was diagnosed with Type 1 about 10 months ago. Over the last 10 months, I have been reducing my intake of insulin to near zero, thinking I was in the honeymoon period. Today, my C-peptide came back positive and my antibodies came back negative. (14 May 2000)

92. I heard recently that it is now possible to replace insulin injections with a pill, but trials could only able be started in a couple of years. Is this true? If so, why can the trial only be started in a couple of years? (13 May 2000)

93. Have there ever been any deaths related to hypoglycemia from a person or child who has been on the pump? (13 May 2000)

94. What effect would diuretics and diet pills have on my blood sugar levels? I've been guilty of the "skip a shot to lose weight" method before, but would like to find a relatively healthy answer. I completely understand if you can't answer this question and contribute to my quest to reduce. (13 May 2000)

95. What is the relationship between diabetes and xanthoma [fatty deposits in the skin] which is found with increased level of lipids in blood? Is it the first stage of diabetes? Is there any similarity in treatment of the two? (13 May 2000)

96. I am 14 and I have over 50% chance of getting diabetes. Is there anyway that I can take a test to know for sure? Also, if I change my diet to a diabetic diet can that help me not to get diabetes? (13 May 2000)

97. My son is 3 years old; he was diagnosed when he was only 20 months. Since being diagnosed with diabetes he has barely grown. His weight isn't particularly a concern, it is his height. What can be the causes of his lack of growth and is it likely that he will catch up? (13 May 2000)

98. I heard that a mouth spray form of insulin is in trials in England. Is this true and are there any clinical trials being run on this in the USA? How are subjects chosen for these trials? (13 May 2000)

99. My 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last year at the age of 18 months. We pretty much let her eat what she wants and adjust her Humalog accordingly. Lately, she has become very upset when she wants candy or an extra treat and it is not time to eat. (8 May 2000)

100. Can just one member of the family have something like a spontaneous mutation which would cause that person to have Type 1 diabetes? (8 May 2000)

101. What are good food choices for parties and special education that elementary teachers may give to students with diabetes? A food list would help. (7 May 2000)

102. I am interested in the use of insulin -- specifically Humalog in children with diabetes. Can you point me to any professional web sites (hospital or physician) where there is information on guidelines for insulin initiation? (7 May 2000)

103. My 14-month-old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes four months ago. He has now developed a large belly. An ultrasound test was performed and the doctor believes it is caused by an enlarged liver. Blood tests indicate the liver is otherwise healthy. Is this a common side effect of diabetes? (7 May 2000)

104. I heard on the news that in Europe they have an oral medication instead of injections. Is this true? If so, how safe is it and will the FDA approve this? (7 May 2000)

105. I have a son 15 years old who has diabetes. He has been in the hospital over 25 times in six years. He will not try to take control. I have to do his shots and check his blood sugars. We really need help. (7 May 2000)

106. My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. What are her chances for a seizure if we follow her insulin regimen and diet correctly? (6 May 2000)

107. My 14 year-old son wants to take creatine monohydrate because he is now weight lifting. Can this harm him and/or affect his liver or kidneys? Are there any other side effects I would need to know about? (6 May 2000)

108. My daughter, aged 18 (diagnosed at age 5), is currently playing college soccer. No amount of training seems to keep her from hitting the "wall" after about 20 to 25 minutes. Even when glucose levels are normal she seems to run out of gas. Is this normal? (6 May 2000)

109. I saw a few days ago in some newspaper that some Ukraine medical scientists have invented a new cure for diabetes. It is said that this new drug is highly efficacious and have no side effects as it's prepared from protein. Do you have this new drug on sale presently? Is it really so good? (6 May 2000)

110. My friend's baby is 6 months old, was diagnosed with diabetes 2 months ago, is very unsettled, and does not sleep at night. We also suspect cystic fibrosis because he has had smelly stools since birth and eats all the time and is sweaty. (5 May 2000)

111. My son is 5 years old and goes to preschool every morning. For the past two weeks his lunch readings have been very high. I know that he is not eating anything he should not while he is at school. Is there some other factors that could be causing his blood sugar to be high? (5 May 2000)

112. What result would you consider to be hypo and hyperglycaemia? (5 May 2000)

113. My three-and-a-half year old son weighs about 28 pounds and is the 5th percentile for height and weight. Is there any correlation between diabetes and failure to grow at a "normal" rate? (5 May 2000)

114. I am 42, Type 1 for three years. I experience periodic profuse sweating when asleep. I've read that this may be an indication of liver disorder. Is this common in diabetics? (4 May 2000)

115. My child who is African American was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 3 1/2 half years ago when admitted into hospital with blood sugar of 1165. How do we know whether he had 1a or 1b? (4 May 2000)

116. I have a 5 1/2 year-old daughter who I believe has hypoglycemia. I had it as a child and, according to my mother, she has many of the symptoms I had. I want to know what I can do to find out if she does have hypoglycemia. (4 May 2000)

117. Our daughter is seven years old and was diagnosed about a year ago. She has had episodes of low blood glucose levels around 2-3 A.M. (4l-57) which sometimes I have treated. Could these lows have affected her learning abilities? (2 May 2000)

118. My daughter is 9 and is currently taking 7 units of Regular and 15 units of NPH per day. I am wondering if your body builds up a tolerance toward any of these two insulins, or any type of insulin. (2 May 2000)

119. My daughter has had Type 1 diabetes since the age of 10 months. At the age of 12 her doctor found high levels of thyroid antibodies. If low dose L-thyroxine treatment is begun early with the detection of high levels of thyroid antibodies, how great is the likelihood of halting the autoimmune process? (2 May 2000)

120. Why would my endocrinologist say that my 2 hour readings after a meal must be 105 or below when everything else I read says they should be 120 or below? I am 36 years old and 11 weeks pregnant with my second child. (2 May 2000)

121. My 6 year old son has recently been ill. He had elevated temperatures up to 104.8F. He was given a urine test there and had the following results: blood ++, protein ++ and glucose ++. Should I be concerned? (1 May 2000)

122. I have diabetes. I'm looking for information on diabetic mastopathy. (1 May 2000)

123. I'm pregnant with my second baby. With my first I had borderline gestational diabetes. I controlled it with diet. The doctor went ahead and told me to do the diet again before I even took the glucose test. Why is that? (1 May 2000)

124. I am 15 years old and ever since I have slowed down my growth spurt, I have gained a lot of weight. I went from 128 lbs to 155 lbs. I am 5 feet 7 1/2 inches tall and quite active. Do I need to lose weight? (1 May 2000)

125. What does it mean when a newborn (4 days old) has low blood sugar? The mother was not diagnosed with gestational diabetes. He is vomiting and very fatigued. What can be done to control this? (1 May 2000)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts