Question:

From Ontario Canada:

My 6 year old son has recently been ill. He had elevated temperatures up to 104.8F. After repeated visits to the doctor, he was finally diagnosed and treated for an ear infection. He was given a urine test there and had the following results: blood ++, protein ++ and glucose ++. It is being sent away for further testing, but I am wondering what this means. My father and grandmother are/were diabetic. Should I be concerned?

Answer:

Infections (even ear infections) especially when accompanied by dehydration can cause unusual urinalysis results. I would not get worried about a single urine test, but rather would retest the urine when he is feeling better to make sure the glucose, blood, and protein have resolved. Your physician can help direct you about appropriate followup tests.

Posted to Aches and Pains