From Croton-on-Hudson, New York, USA:

Our daughter is seven years old and was diagnosed about a year ago. She has had episodes of low blood glucose levels around 2-3 A.M. (4l-57) which sometimes I have treated. Could these lows have affected her learning abilities?

The rare low probably doesn't hurt in the long run. Lots probably do. The message, avoid lots of lows. I do know that can be a challenge; but you should avoid going to bed too low, probably not less than 120. Also avoid an NPH peak at 2 A.M., so you may likely need to give NPH at your bedtime and not hers. Check some sugars in the night.

Always discuss treatment plan changes with your diabetes team.