Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

My 10 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. What are her chances for a seizure if we follow her insulin regimen and diet correctly?

Answer:

I'm afraid it's not possible to say in your daughter's specific case but approximately a third of all patients will have a severe hypoglycaemic reaction at some point. The vast majority cause no harm but of course it's better to avoid if possible and the best way of doing this is to follow her regimen carefully and make sure that exercise is properly accounted for with carbohydrate.