From Toronto, Canada:

I am interested in the use of insulin -- specifically Humalog in children with diabetes. Can you point me to any professional web sites (hospital or physician) where there is information on guidelines for insulin initiation -- especially with respect to when Humalog is initiated, when it is not, and any improvements that result from Humalog in Type 1's?

Humalog is commonly used in children. It frequently replaces the use of "Regular" or shorter acting insulins and is normally dosed to cover the amount of carbohydrates eaten. You might visit to read more about Humalog and various types of insulins. The initiation of the use of Humalog is not set in stone -- but rather should be based on your diabetes physician's and team's best judgement.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Quick:

Lispro insulin (Humalog) has just been approved for use in kids: see Lispro Insulin; also, see Comments about the Use of Lispro Insulin.

Posted to Insulin Analogs