Question:

From Boise, Idaho, USA:

What do you think of this new low calorie sweetener called Splenda?

Answer:

Splenda or sucralose is a derivative of sucrose, which is 600 times sweeter. It has no effect on blood glucose. For the time being, it seems to be being used in juices and colas and as far as I know the powdered form, which looks like sugar but where the sucralose is mixed with maltodextrin, is not yet on the supermarket shelf.

Additional comments from Joyce Mosiman:

Sucralose has been approved by the FDA for sale in products and it is available as a table top sweetener. The taste to me is similar to aspartame, however, that is highly individual. The advantage to sucralose is that it is heat stable, so can be used in cooking without losing its sweetness.

JM