Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My daughter is 16 and is learning to drive. I have seen a lot written about suggested guidelines regarding driving and low blood sugars, but what about high blood sugars? She is frequently in the 300/400 range. We are working with her diabetes team to lower the numbers, but in the meantime, how does this affect driving?

Answer:

I do not know of any adverse affects of high blood sugar on driving skills/reaction time. Although certainly you should try to avoid 300's and 400's, make sure you don't put so much pressure on your daughter that she hides the high blood sugars, or over treats them with extra insulin and increases the risk of developing a low blood sugar during driving which certainly could impair her driving skills/reaction time.

Putting herself in any position where she can't take a quick break to test her blood sugar or at least safely eat some food while driving, could potentially be dangerous to her and others.

Additional comments from Jeff Hitchcock, The Editor:

In February 1999, we ran a poll that asked how often people test their blood sugar before they drive. The results were not encouraging.

JSH

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA