Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

My mom was just diagnosed with diabetes. I don't know what type yet or anything about it. What are the basics that I need to know? People don't normally die from diabetes, do they?

What are the types of foods that she needs to eat? My sister said that mom has to lose 40 pounds. Why is this so?

Answer:

I can hear the concern and panic in your message. It is hard for people and their families to be told they have diabetes. Many people in the past have had many problems with diabetes but now things have improved. We know a lot more about diabetes care than we ever did before. Research has been slow in coming but we now have several new medicines to treat diabetes, new insulins, and, most importantly, new attitudes about diabetes management and care.

You have asked several good questions and I think you and your family would benefit from gathering a diabetes team to help. Your mother's physician will be one of the team members, as well as a diabetes educator and a dietitian. (If the doctor does not know of a diabetes educator, he/she can call the American Association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAM UP 4 for someone nearby.)

The most important thing to remember is that successful diabetes management will depend on your mother knowing all she can to take care of herself day to day and having an up-to-date diabetes team supporting her efforts.

KS