From Sunnyvale, California, USA:

I am 37, and in my 33rd week of my first pregnancy. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes three weeks ago. I have seen a dietitian and continue to see my obstetrician for monitoring. It looks like diet and exercise are not controlling the diabetes as the sugar counts are rising instead of falling. Will probably start insulin this week. What statistics are there for women who do not respond to diet/exercise control? I was an active woman prior to this pregnancy and once morning sickness passed, I was back at the gym three-four times a week. I am now walking a brisk mile after every meal and my body simply isn't responding.

Your activity level is only part of the answer. The placenta is also producing hormones that cause insulin resistance. Sometimes diet and activity alone is not enough to counteract this effect. I know it is frustrating but you are doing the best you can. It may be necessary for you to start insulin.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes