From New York, New York, USA:

I have a 5 year old diagnosed 1.5 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. From the time he was diagnosed until now, he seems very sensitive to Humalog and Regular insulin. He is now on 10.5 of Lente in the A.M. with H coverage when needed for a high morning number (which is unusual). He receives no other insulin during the day. Dinner numbers are about 105-120. He usually wakes up at 3 or 4 A.M. -- we test and he is 30-50.

I am very concerned about daily hypoglycemia. This is unexplained and I am at a loss on what to do. He adequately snacks before bed (18 grams) and goes to bed at 150-180. I never sleep because I am constantly testing throughout the night. He is often non-symptomatic at these low numbers. Any help would be welcomed.

You need to discuss with your diabetes team before making any changes but it seems to me that your son is on too much Lente in the morning and this is responsible for his hypos in the early hours of the following day. I wonder if you should try substituting the Lente for NPH which has a shorter duration of action.

Posted to Insulin and Hypoglycemia