Question:

From London, England:

My son is 13 years old and has had Type 1 diabetes for 4 years. Recently I have noticed that he is having difficulty in absorbing and memorising school work. I am very concerned, as he will be having exams soon. He is on human Mixtard 10 insulin. Is this linked to diabetes?

I have found that this has become worse since his diagnosis. What do you suggest I give him or do to help this situation?

Answer:

Your son's problems may be completely unrelated to his diabetes but you should first establish that he's not hypoglycaemic while at school. If his general blood glucose control is too tight then discuss with your team about relaxing it a bit. Have there been any other changes in his behaviour and have his teachers noticed anything? Discuss with your son's doctor.