From Michigan, USA:

I had gestational diabetes with my twin pregnancy. However, the condition was not treated and my sons were born with hypoglycemia. Their sugar level was 11. One of my babies was born unconscious. It took over 3 minutes to resuscitate him. He is now 2 1/2 and having difficulty attending to any activity (unlike his brother). What are the complications from such low blood sugar at birth? It was caught shortly after birth. However, I wonder if there could be any connection to the hypoxia (unconscious), the hypoglycemia, and the attention problems.

He is involved with an early intervention program in my area and the occupational therapists are worried about him!

It is quite true that anoxia and/or hypoglycemia at birth may lead to developmental problems later.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes